Facts & Tips
1. Barbarian fishing (Catching leaping fish) is now the fastest fishing XP in the game. Fly fishing (Catching trout and salmon) at Shilo Village is the second fastest fishing XP in the game.
2. Random events will appear while you are fishing now! Not just when you start fishing! So watch out for them!
3. Currently 11,373 people have level 99 fishing as of today! (Runes of Magic)
4. Fishing is one of the oldest skills in RuneScape.
5. Fishing is a non-members skill; just some of the fish requires you to be members to catch it.
6. A fishing potion will increase your fishing level by 3 for a short while.
7. A fish pie will increase your fishing level by 3 for a short while.
8. An admiral pie will increase your fishing level by 5 for a short while.
9. You will NOT catch fish slower if other players are using the same fishing spot as you. The speed of the fish your catching depends on your fishing level.
10. Hand fishing is NOT faster than using a harpoon!
1. Fish sharks in a net/harpoon spot, not in a cage/harpoon spot! You don't want a load of swordfish and tunas and other fish!
2. Never wear anything fancy or expensive in case you get killed by a random event and loose it.
3. Barely wear anything, so that you can run faster to the bank. An advantage would be to wear the Boots of Lightness and a spotted/spottier cape.
4. The higher the agility level, the better. Time is an essence.
5. If you get bored, browse the Forums, talk to friends, watch television, play on your console, play games on your computer, do homework! Anything!
6. When harpooning fish wield a barbtail harpoon so that you can catch one extra fish per bag.
7. Don't check your XP constantly, check it in every half an hour or so. This is because thinking about the amount of XP left can put you off the skill etc.
8. Don't go and train other skills, as this can distract you from progressing in fishing.
9. Chat to friends or other players around you. This is very good as it keeps the boredom feeling away.
10. If you’re feeling really bored and fed up, and feel like quitting your goal, just take a 30 minute or more break and do something else, and you'll be refreshed and relaxed to continue training.
11. Try to train the fastest way if you're going for level 99. Remember you can always get the money easily and quickly after you reach level 99, unless you want the money there and then (like me )
12. Cook your fish afterwards if you want cooking XP. As cooking is much faster you will have more cooking XP in cooking than fishing if you cook all of your fish.
13. Sell your fish for the highest prices as possible and start making them dreams a reality!
14. At level 65 you can use a fishing potion or a fish pie to get into the Fishing Guild, or an admiral pie from level 63 fishing. Just as good you can wait and go into it at the normal required fishing level of 68.
15. If you fly fish I suggest to high alch your fish, as selling them can be quite difficult. You'll gain magic XP and a bit of money if you craft your own nature runes.
16. Find a suitable Fishing spot next or near to a bank to save running energy.
17. Use a fishing potion or a fish pie to temporarily increase your fishing level by 3, or an admiral pie to increase it by 5. This makes catching fish much quicker and saves time. That's if of course, you have the inventory space to do so.
18. When harpooning fish you may catch a larger version of the fish. The larger version can be stuffed by the Taxidermist in Canifis. The stuffed fish can be mounted on the wall in your Player Owned House skill hall. Different fish require different construction levels to mount them.
- Mounted bass (level 36)
- Mounted swordfish (level 56)
- Mounted shark (level 76)